brilliantly colored fired and leaded art glass park view lutheran church pictorial triptych window executed by franz xaver zettler

Call For Price

Availability: In stock

UR #:: UR-24709-16

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

one of four museum-quality depression era "munich style" triptych pictorial church window executed by f.z. zettler's studio, munich, germany. the leaded and fired sectional windows with brilliantly colored hand-painted glass were salvaged from park view lutheran church prior to its demolition. priced for the entire assembly. most of the royal bavarian art institute’s windows found in this country date from after 1900. however, the windows in st. martin of tours church were installed by zettler’s firm between 1893-1895. the fact that st. martin’s was among the institute’s early american customers can probably be attributed to the parish’s german immigrants already being familiar with the firm’s work in the “fatherland.” when the 20th century began, the mayer and zettler firms were the world’s leading producers of stained glass, employing nearly 500 craftsmen and artists between them. these firms played an important role in preserving the ancient stained glass throughout the european continent during that turbulent century, being called into action to remove and safeguard windows from many of the great medieval cathedrals during the two world wars. they also restored many windows damaged by war, weather, and pollution (in fact, the mayer co. was hired by pope st. pius x to restore bernini’s famous holy spirit window at st. peter’s basilica in rome in 1912). perhaps due to the change in artistic tastes, or its lack of diversification of products, the f.x. zettler co. merged with its rival, mayer & company, in 1939. this firm, run by a 5th generation member of the mayer family, still does business today. the company is active in the restoration of europe’s historic castles, churches, and monasteries. its religious works now include windows and mosaics for synagogues and mosques, and new customers have been found in japan, singapore, egypt, and saudi arabia. it has produced works for such noble causes as the world peace church in hiroshima, japan and a civil rights memorial in atlanta, georgia. but, reflecting the secularization of western civilization, many of its works are for the “cathedrals” of our day, including banks, hotels, malls, airports, and the barney’s chain of fashion clothing stores. many of the works are very modernistic and abstract, a far cry from the detail and orderliness of the munich style. at the bottom of most of st name of the person or family who donated it to the parish. in addition to the donors’ names, the names of the royal bavarian art institute for stained glass and f.x. zettler – the master of the munich style – can be seen on several windows. “professor franz,” as zettler was known to students and admirers, died in 1916 at the age of 75. there has been of late a renewed interest in and appreciation for the work of this great craftsman. park view lutheran church traces its roots to 1907, when the reverend theodore graebner began searching for a location to erect a church for his congregation, which was officially organized in 1908, with services being held in the shoe shoe shop of nils andersen. two years later, in 1910, the first wooden church was built on a triangular lot located at 3921 n. monticello street. six years later, the wood-framed church was demolished to make way for their second church built on the same site. in june of 1929 the official groundbreaking for the indiana limestone "french gothic" style church took place at 3919. n. monticello street. construction of the new church was completed a year later, in june of 1930, when the church was dedicated and parsonage relocated. in 1949 park view is remembered in the will of the late erick erickson with a 40,000 "legacy," which made possible refinancing of the church's long-standing mortgage that was paid off or "burned" in 1956. a year later the church underwent extensive remodeling, including poured concrete entrance steps, alterations to the chancel, and the purchase of a pipe organ. in 1964 the church purchased the neighboring property located at 3911 n. monticello, where plans were hatched for a parish education unit. in 1970, the park view school was completed.