rare vintage medical c. 1930's ceiling mount operating room castle light with original heat tempered glass lens

Sold

UR #:: UR-8143-10

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

completely intact and rewired c. 1930's interior operating room "castle light", manufactured by the wilmot castle co., rochester, ny. retains the original heat tempered, tinted glass lens designed to render colors perfectly, control the heat and distribute a deep column of focused light. the swivel and trunnion type adjustable examination lamp is comprised largely of bronze with original nickel-plated finish. the socket housing contains several circular perforations for ventilation of excessive heat. the two stationary handles are attached firmly to the outer housing. the wilmot castle company, incorporated in 1903 but having a continuous existence since 1883, was involved primarily in the manufacture of sterilizers and bacteriological apparatus. this enterprise had its origin in the fertile brain and executive ability of wilmot castle. he came to rochester in 1883 and began the manufacture of sheet metal specialties under the firm name of wilmot castle & company. this business would later become one of the largest manufacturers of sterilizers and bacteriological apparatus. in 1906 they purchased several lots on st. paul street and the rome, watertown & ogdensburg branch of the new york central & hudson river railroad and erected a thoroughly modern manufacturing plant, specially adapted for their business, and into which they moved in 1907. the manufacturing was conducted on one floor, which had a saw tooth roof for light. a second story extended one hundred and twenty feet across the front of the building, in which was located spacious offices, a printing plant and employes' lunchroom. a producer gas plant furnished power and electricity for lighting, as well as gas for soldering fires and heating water in the nickeling room. in 1959 the ritter company acquired the assets of the wilmot castle company. the lamp measures 16 1/4 x 18 inches. ready for immediate installation.