early 20th century antique american solid bronze metal double-sided light incised ywca hotel oversized door key fob

Sold

UR #:: UR-18697-13

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

lightly engraved or incised double-sided early 20th century oversized hotel key fob fabricated by the stoney co., denver, colo. the heavy bronze metal fob was found in the basement of the old ywca hotel prior to demolition. the original steel grommet remains intact. the large numbers contain a black enameled inlay. the nicely aged surface patina has been lightly cleaned. multiple fobs from the 7th floor are available. priced individually. the fob measures 3 x 2 1/2 inches. the seven-story red brick and terra cotta ywca hotel (located at 830 south michigan avenue) was designed by chicago architect john m. van osdel ii, nephew of prominent chicago architect john mills van osdel ii. construction of the property was completed in 1895. the late19th century hotel is one of the oldest ywca buildings in the country, and was the first to be built in the city of chicago. the ywca originally used to house working women newly arriving in the city following the 1893 world's fair. located near the illinois central railroad station and within a reasonable distance to the heart of the loop, it was was designed to take advantage of views along michigan avenue and the lake, with projecting triangular bay windows on the top floors and a renaissance inspired loggia dressed in ornamental terra cotta on the second floor. in 1929, the building became the south michigan hotel. in the 1970's the hotel was purchased by johnson publications and converted into offices. the badly dilapidated and structurally compromised building was essentially abandoned for nearly thirty years. the building finally succumbed to the wrecking ball in 2009. urban remains salvaged much of the exterior and interior ornament prior to, and during demolition. measures approximately 2 1/2 x 3 inches.