Sale

original wood framed brightly colored lithographic architectural rendering depicting the russell & erwin hardware company factory complex as it appeared in 1925

Regular Price: $895.00

Special Price $350.00

Availability: In Stock

UR #:: UR-29049-18

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

well maintained vividly colored architectural rendering featuring the russell & erwin hardware manufacturing division factory complex. the largely intact lithograph features a highly detailed perspective of the entire factory complex, with a multitude of interconnected buildings containing signage, water towers, etc. the original, gently curved, concave wood frame contains a faux wood grain finish with gilded line accent. original "wavy" clear glass. fabricated by the graphic arts co., hartford, ct. the russell & erwin manufacturing company originated in 1839 when h.e. russell, cornelius b. erwin, and frederick t. stanley formed a partnership to produce locks and builders' hardware, under the name of stanley, russell & company. when mr. stanley withdrew from the partnership in 1840, smith matteson and john h. bowen were added, changing the name of the company to matteson, russell & company. in 1846, with the death of mr. matteson and the expiration of the partnership terms, the company's name changed to russell & erwin. in 1851 the partnership was reorganized as a joint stock company and was from that time known as russell & erwin manufacturing company, until its merger with p.& f. corbin in 1902. cornelius erwin served as president of the company from 1851 until his death in 1885. the company is best known as the pioneer of the wrought steel lock industry. p. & f. corbin originated in 1849 when brothers philip and frank corbin, and edward doen established the firm of doen, corbin & co., to manufacture ox balls. the company's name changed to p. & f. corbin in 1851. in the last half of the 19th century they broadened their products to include coffin trimmings, knobs, and stove handles. in 1868 they began specializing in the manufacture of builder's hardware and locks. the american hardware corporation was formed in 1902 as a holding company through the merger of the russell & erwin manufacturing company and p. & f. corbin, which were at that time separate and independent and rivals in the market for builders' hardware. at the time of the merger the two companies produced nearly one-half of the total hardware of this type in the united states. the two merged companies remained as distinct divisions of american hardware corporation and two other divisions - corbin cabinet lock company and the corbin screw corporation - were added later.