exceptional c. 1930's refinished american vintage medical rolling hospital step back steel cabinet with original double-over shelves

Sold

UR #:: UR-14520-12

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

all original american vintage medical mobile reinforced metal supply cabinet salvaged from the non-extant michael reese hospital "old main" building located in chicago, il. the oversized rolling cabinet is comprised of heavy gauge cold-rolled steel with mostly uniform brushed metal finish. the cabinet contains two hinges doors and three pull-out drawers. the cast brass fittings (i.e., hinges and pulls) are original. the spacious cabinet top contains a three-sided rail guard. the double-over shelves are supported by tubular steel supports with iron ball finials. the multi-purpose operating room cabinet was fabricated by the frank s. betz co., hammond, ind. measures 36 x 24 x 61 inches. manufactured by the frank s. betz co., hammond, in. the betz company issued its first catalog in 1895 it consisted of 16 illustrated pages featuring surgical instruments and apparatuses. it was a huge success and from this date his company became a major player in the medical equipment and supply industry. from 1900 to 1904 the betz company's offices were located at 41 randolph street in chicago. the catalog for 1903 listed some 5000 items available for sale. a catalog showroom was located at 88-90 wabash avenue and the factory was at 1760 e. ravenswood park. in 1904 the betz company acquired 12 acres of land on hoffman street just north of the grand calumet river in hammond, indiana. a new brick factory building and rail spur was built. the work was completed within a year and the company began operating in hammond in 1905. after humble beginnings in 1895 the company grew in physical size from just 120 sq. ft. that year to 15,000 sq. ft in 1901, to 84,600 sq. ft. in 1906 to over 160,000 sq. ft. in 1911. the company had managed to survive the great depression of 1929 and was eventually sold to and absorbed by the a. s. aloe company of st. louis, missouri in 1937.