original and intact late nineteenth century privy dug hand blown colorless glass medicine bottle fabricated for northwestern homeopathic pharmacy in chicago, il.

Sold

UR #:: UR-23499-15

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

single antique c. 1870's-1880's colorless glass medicinal bottle manufactured for the chicago based northwestern homeopathic pharmacy. the glass is finished with a narrow neck and flared lip. the square body features beveled corners, and panels on two sides that round near the shoulder, with vertical embossing on the front, "north western / homeopathic pharmacy / chicago" with some casewear. crudities are typical of its age and date of manufacture, including bubbles and surface wear. discoloration or irridization is typical of dug bottles. the pharmacy appears to have been effected by the great chicago fire in 1871, and moved to 371 wabash avenue. according to an 1886 publication, one of the pharmacists at northwestern homeopathic pharmacy was a german immigrant named bodo uhlendorf, who learned medicine at this and other firms before opening his own business at no. 2724 state street in 1874.