Sale

exceptional c. 1915-18 antique american industrial "vh-series" single crouse-hinds pendant explosion or vapor-proof light fixture with "sun-purple" glass globe or bulb guard

Regular Price: $1,200.00

Special Price $900.00

Availability: In Stock

UR #:: UR-29778-19

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

hard to find early 20th century antique american industrial "type vha" original explosion or vapor-proof factory pendant light fixture designed, patented and fabricated by the crouse-hinds, co., syracuse, ny. the thoroughly cleaned and refinished single incandescent light fixture contains a solid cast iron body or socket housing with original white glazed ceramic socket. the threaded-end impact-resistant "sun purple" glass globe or guard contains lightly etched manufacturer markings. the reinforced riveted joint cage surrounding the glass jar is comprised of overlapping flat brass metal strips or bands. the swinging "guard" is designed for use with a padlock to prevent theft of the light bulb and/or unauthorized removal of globe and cage. the heavy duty condulet has been brushed down to bare metal and sealed with a clear coat lacquer. two matching fixtures are available, with the other containing tubular steel pipe for mounting against a wall, where as this fixture is designed as a pendant, with no elbow pipe fittings or joints present. the "vh-series" are hard to find with all original parts present. great overall condition. priced individually. the crouse-hinds electric company (later shortened to crouse-hinds company) was established in 1897 in syracuse, new york. founder huntington beard crouse (fayetteville, new york), inherited a large sum of money from his uncle, huntington beard, who owned several small companies in the area. mr. crouse partnered with jesse lorenzo hinds, who served as factory superintendent (and former mechanic) of the electric engineering and supply company of syracuse. crouse had the capital and hinds had the electrical know how as well as business and management experience to start their own company. they drew up papers and formed a partnership called crouse-hinds electric company, and went on to become one of the major employers in syracuse. the company was a manufacturer of high grade electrical specialties. their first product offering was a changeable headlight for trolley cars. the company experienced rapid growth throughout the early 20th century. in 1911, a new plant was constructed in syracuse, ny. by 1918, the company had shortened their name to crouse-hinds company and produced traffic lights, controllers and accessories. the company manufactured the first traffic signal in syracuse which was installed in 1924 at the corner of james and state streets. crouse-hinds produced traffic signals locally for many years, including the famous tipperary hill upside down light on the city's far westside.