historically important c. 1899 exterior brand brewery administration building brownish-orange ornamental terra cotta block with centrally located sunflower

$1,500.00

Availability: In Stock

UR #:: UR-29734-19

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

single late 19th century original and completely intact brand brewery administration building terra cotta block executed by the northwestern terra cotta company, chicago, ills. the remarkable and historically important ornamental square-shaped block was salvaged from the brewery complex during its demolition in 2012. the brand brewery was designed by prolific chicago architect louis lehle. the diminutive block contains a centrally located sunflower, surrounded by an egg & dart border. the beveled edge terra cotta panel retains a nicely aged surface patina consistent with age. the brand brewery's administration building and adjacent brewhouse were designed by brewery architect louis lehle (the former was completed in 1899). the brewery was organized and chartered in 1876, with michael brand, president, rudolph brand, vice-president, and virgil m. brand, secretary and treasurer. michael brand first began brewing in the spring of 1853 with partner valentine busch. the company was organized in 1864 as the busch & brand brewery where it continued operations until busch’s death in 1872. the fire of 1871 destroyed the business leaving brand to rebuild on a much larger scale, where he purchased several tracts of land on elston near fullerton avenue. in 1876-77 he erected his new brewery, but disaster would strike again in 1885, when a fire left nothing but blackened walls. nearly two months later brand rebuilt and operated under his name until 1915, when it became the united states beverage company. the brewery finally closed its doors in 1955.