Sale

lightly tumbled c. 1870's amber-colored ring-neck quart-sized john a. lomax dug cider bottle with embossed letter accentuated with white paint

Regular Price: $895.00

Special Price $625.00

Availability: In Stock

UR #:: UR-29665-19

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

rare c.1870-1872 deep amber ring-neck cider-finish quart manufactured for john lomax in chicago, illinois. the wide, tall bottle tapers into a long, narrow neck, with a single applied ring. the front body is embossed, just below the shoulder "j.a. lomax / 14 & 16 / charles place / chicago", without the 4-bottle logo that was common on some varieties. the base is smooth with a depressed center and seams indicative of manufacture with post mold. crudities are typical of its age and date of manufacture, including allover whittling, bubbles, and minor surface wear. the lightly tumbled bottom does contain some bruises on base, but not chips, breaks, or cracks evident. embossed lettering painted white. john a. lomax entered the bottling operations in 1854, distributing soda water located at 38 w. lake street in chicago. in 1859, the plant was destroyed by fire and operations were moved to a two-story frame building located at 16 charles place. as business grew, john and his son george erected a large masonry building in 1871, which was consumed by the great chicago fire the same year. shortly after, lomax rebuilt an even larger four-story facility that was advertised as being the "largest bottling house in the world.” during their peak production years, lomax serviced more than five thousand of the approximately seven thousand saloons across the city of chicago. their bottling works furnished soda-waters, ginger ale, mineral and spring water, ales and other drinks. the company ceased operations in 1885.