Sale

pair of original and intact late 19th century salvaged chicago william le baron jenney-designed leiter ii building interior staircase baluster panels with bower-barff finish

Regular Price: $1,500.00

Special Price $1,000.00

Availability: In Stock

UR #:: UR-29670-19

Please Note: We do not appraise, nor do we disclose the prices of items sold.

Questions? Click here or call our store at 312.492.6254. Please make sure to reference the UR# when submitting an email.

Note: Shipping is not included. If required please contact an Urban Remains sales associate.

 

Product Description

two matching original and completely intact late 19th century historically important ornamental neoclassical style deep relief cast iron interior leiter ii building (extant) staircase baluster panels replete with stylized scalloped center medallions. the straight rail double-sided panel's bower & barff baked enameled finish is largely intact in in good overall condition, considering age. the decorative staircase panels were fabricated by the winslow brothers foundry, chicago, il. the second leiter building, also known as leiter ii building and the sears building, is located at the northeast corner of south state street and east congress street in chicago, illinois. (not to be confused with the sears tower). this landmark of the chicago school of architecture has gained its fame for being one of the first commercial buildings still standing in the united states to have a metal skeleton frame. built in 1891 by levi leiter, the second leiter building was designed by architect william le baron jenney who implemented the skeletal frame made of steel to make the design fireproof. the building was leased by levi leiter to the department store of siegel, cooper and company. later it became the downtown flagship store of sears, roebuck and company and still stands to this day. its predecessor the first leiter building was built at wells and monroe in 1879 but unlike its successor the building was demolished in 1972. the second leiter building was designated a landmark on january 14, 1997. the building is now home to robert morris university. measures 23 x 10 inches. priced for the set.